June 19, 2024

Arsenal can give Alexander Isak what he craves and Newcastle can’t as £86m transfer plan

Arsenal have been given a major boost to their hopes of signing Alexander Isak following the Newcastle United star’s latest admission. The 24-year-old striker has been heavily linked with a move to the Emirates Stadium for a while now as Mikel Arteta looks to further bolster his frontline.

Isak, who sees his contract expire in 2028, has featured 26 times in the Premier League this season, scoring 19 goals. His impressive performances for the Magpies have reportedly courted the interest of some top clubs across Europe.

football.london understands that Arsenal are in the market for a striker this summer. It’s believed that Mikel Arteta wants somebody who offers great versatility, like the Sweden international, but that stance could very quickly change before the end of the season.

For now, it remains unclear whether or not the north Londoners will pursue a move for Isak, but if they do then they’ll certainly stand a good chance. In an interview ahead of Newcastle’s clash against Burnley this weekend, the Swede targeted a return to the Champions League.

Eddie Howe’s side failed to get out of the group stages this season despite securing a clean sheet against AC Milan at the San Siro and defeating Paris Saint-Germain at St James’ Park. Isak said: “That’s the top of the top, the Champions League.

“That is where we want to be and are striving for. We got there last season, we won’t get there this season but that is where we want to be. The ambitions that the club had aligns with what I want as well as a player. Newcastle being such a historic club and having the fans made it easier, for sure, to make this choice.”

READ MORE: Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham wage bill compared to Premier League rivals

READ MORE: Premier League games involving Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham could move to the USA

Unfortunately for Isak, it is now mathematically impossible for Newcastle to qualify for the Champions League. Arsenal, however, will be rubbing shoulders with Europe’s biggest clubs next season – which could be a huge incentive for the £85.5million-rated talisman ahead of the summer.

Despite uncertainty over Isak’s future in Tyneside, Howe has issued a ‘hands-off’ warning. Speaking to reporters at the start of last month, the Newcastle boss said: “No one connected with Newcastle would want to lose him.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *